Thursday, April 22, 2010

Riding in Cars with Dogs

It was time for Polka's first vaccination and as you might have guessed hubby was on a business trip. It was my first time traveling with Polka so pet taxi was the natural choice. I looked into it but cheapo that I am - I didn't like the pricing and decide to turn this into an adventure.

What motivated me to venture out by cab was a cab driver himself. This was a few days ago in a cab sans Polka. I asked the cab driver about the rules. His response in true singaporean style was "Can Can . Dogs are human too". I love Singapore taxi drivers!!

On D-day, I decided Polka should smell nice and fresh and not get an inferiority complex at the vet's. So after a nice bath and after forcing Polka to pee multiple times, I packed her stuff ( poo bags, treats, water, blanket, toys, cash in the back pocket of my trouser for easy access....)and we set out in search of a cab. There were couple of taxis waiting at the taxi stand across the road. I carried her half way but realized she was too heavy and she too scared. By the time I reached the taxi stand I was panting, hassled and full of Polka's hair on my black tshirt. Polka was shedding after her bath!

A hassled owner with a t-shirt full of dog hair and a startled puppy in tow was not a pretty sight. I got turned down by the first and the second and the third and the fourth cab ..

Eventually I took control of my clumsy self. I brushed off the hair from my tshirt, bundled her in a blanket, held her in my arms to make her look small and approached a new cab that had just arrived. Magic! it worked :) The cab driver obliged. I forced Polka and me into the car before he could change his mind and the journey began.

Within 30 secs, thanks to the A/C fan, polka's hair was whirling in the car. I tried hard to ignore the driver's annoyance and did my best to cover her with the blanket. It wasn't working. Eventually, I asked the driver to shut off the A/C and put the windows down to prove how considerate dog owners are. I didn't want to give him any reason to go to the darker anti-dog side.

Polka did fine and all of us(Polka, me, driver, cab) reached the vet's office intact.
The jouney back home was very smooth. After all I was now experienced at riding in cars with dogs;)

No comments:

Post a Comment