Monday, August 16, 2010

'FUR'IOUS !!!

My understanding of the fur trade was shaped largely by PETA's sensational  'I'd rather go naked than wear fur' ads.  I'd spent as much time admiring the models as I'd spent pondering about the animal killings. If all the folks, especially the guys out there, were doing the same, I think PETA definitely succeeded in raising awareness.

I don't wear fur and I never gave the fur trade much thought - till recently. I was forwarded this disturbing video on the dog fur trade. It was horrible to see dogs and cats been mistreated and skinned alive.  That's when it hit home.  Dogs ? Fur ? Really ? For me, mink coats, leather items , 'medicines' meant seals, foxes, crocodiles. elephants, tigers, rhinos - wild, exotic animals.. However deplorable these killings are, they happen in far away places - in the cold waters of Alaska or the jungles of Africa.  Poachers, hunting traps and custom crackdowns are almost out of a movie scene. But dogs and cats - these are domestic animals, man's best friend! This is very close to home and very close to my heart. I am furious. It's disgusting and sad. Are we really capable of this level of cruelty ?

I wouldn't want this kind of fate to befall anyone - even the people brutally skinning alive helpless creatures. After all, in all likelihood they're just trying to survive. It's because of demand and supply, because of glamorizing and branding and because of me and maybe even you.  Aren't we responsible for being unaware, for being complacent, for patronizing these products and companies?  I have to do something, get active but before that I have this sudden urge to give a tight hug to my dear Polka!

No comments:

Post a Comment