Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Whats in a name ?

I never talked to so many strangers before Polka came into my life. Dog walking usually leads to good conversations with dog lovers. The starter usually is ' how old is your dog? what breed' ?

I have tried different answers - 'stray', 'mixed breed', 'mongrel', 'singapore special', 'adopted' 'its a mix between a lab and a fox' and so on .... My answers don't have that punch that one would have while saying lets say 'German Shepherd' or 'Shetland Border Collie' or 'Doberman Pinscher'.

The reactions vary from 'what does that mean ?' to 'oh that's so kind of you to adopt' to 'i only talk to pure breeds'.

Polka does not mind. She wags her tail at anyone who cares to stop by. But I am not happy. For her sake, her respect, her confidence I need to think of a special name. The name has to be classy and should have at least 2 words. It should convey that Polka is a queen, a warrior, a great soul and at the same time it should be a reminder of her humble background. It has to have panache !

The conversation next time ..
DL (dog lover): what breed is it?
Me: Its a 'Royal Roadesian'
DL: Oh I have never heard of it
Me: Yes. Its quite exclusive. They are bred in absolute natural surroundings. The organic equivalent in dog breeds :)

7 comments:

  1. Roadesian sounds great :-)

    Sriya

    PS: Look out for your name in The Hindu on Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    i seriously laughed out loud in my room in front of the computer screen when my eyes went past 'Royal Roadesian'.
    HILARIOUS LAHHHH

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sriya Thanks! I saw the hindu article online. Nice article - lovely to see Mom and Sufi's pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Josh - Am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sriya - Thanks for the hero title in the article and the blog mention!! I got so many comments on the article - there will soon be a post about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAA i agree with u totally on the , "oh what does that mean". i adopted a dachshund just last year and when i tell ppl, he was adopted, they will give me a long "ohhh i seeee." I hate the "we BUY dogs so we are royalty" stare. LOL but itz okay i love my dog Piggy anywayz!!!!! who cares about what they think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Amanda - Hugs to Piggy! The other day I was asked 'how much did you pay for the dog' and were shocked when I said 'Free':)

    ReplyDelete