Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Karmic Konnections - part 2

I used to take Polka out for a walk to nearby Mt Emily Park. The dogs owners that we came across were rather unfriendly types. They would see us and tug their dogs in the other direction. I'll admit Polka isn't the most well-behaved of mutts, but how can one walk away from that cute face? Hubby gleefully suggested, "It can't be Polka. It must be you!". "But how can they walk away from this cute face?", I retorted. Nonetheless, I began frequenting Fort Canning Park from then on. 

One pleasant cool evening at Fort Canning, and the park was surprisingly empty. A black dog was sitting with his owner in the main lawn. Seeing Polka, the dog came running to us. Gideon was a sweet dog with beautiful, gentle eyes who turned out to be a shelter dog from Salem, Massachusetts. I got chatting with the owner - Jim had recently moved to Singapore and was elated to see another dog so eager to play. He was feeling guilty about moving to an urban landscape from a green, wooded, suburban place.  Polka and Gideon ran furiously in the big empty lawn, chasing each other, jumping and having a good time. Gideon and Jim were back in suburbia - albeit for a short time. As a passerby aptly put it, "these two dogs are made for each other!". Polka now has a new play date on weekdays!

------------------------------------------------

That same evening at the park, I met a couple with two little dogs, a black and white pair. The dogs smelt the treats I had in my hand (I blackmail Polka with treats all the time) and stood in front of me with pleading eyes - their paws reaching up to my knees. How could I resist? Soon, Polka was in her game position egging them to play. They were shy at first, but eventually opened up and were as friendly as the couple. Polka had a wonderful time and so did I. We exchanged phone numbers and since then meet on a regular basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walked back home, I realized how lucky I was to be surrounded by such wonderful people. Karmic connections don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment